Jobs this month are mostly about keeping things trim and tidy, and getting ready for the year ahead.
IN THE FLOWER GARDEN
• Prune any rose bushes that haven’t already had a prune whilst they are still dormant. Cut back to just above a bud and remove any dead or crossing branches.
• Cut back any ornamental grasses before new growth begins – cut back to within a few centimetres of the ground.
• Tidy up perennials. Cut down the old stems of plants like Sedum.
• Remove old Hellebore leaves.
• Deadhead winter flowering pansies.
IN THE FRUIT GARDEN
• Begin pruning apple and pear trees if you haven’t already done so.
• Prune blackcurrants, gooseberries and redcurrants to maintain a productive framework.
• Leave plum, cherries and apricots alone until the summer.
IN THE VEGETABLE GARDEN
• Harvest parsnips and leeks, now is the perfect time.
• Remove yellowing leaves from winter brassicas.
• Prepare the ground for early peas.