Gardening is good for you!
Whilst gardens can be relaxing, they can also be places that offer us great health benefits and rewards too. The benefits of gardening run much deeper than just exercise though, our efforts in the garden can result in a real sense of achievement, boosting confidence and self-esteem.
Put effort and energy into the garden now so you can sit back and relax for the rest of the summer.
Here are some of our gardening tips for the month of May.
IN THE FLOWER GARDEN
Feed trees, shrubs, and hedges with a balanced, slow-release fertiliser. Roses and rhubarb tend to be greedy plants and will greatly benefit from feeding as they come into growth.
• Tie in climbing and rambling roses.
• Finish cutting back any dead foliage on perennials and ornamental grasses if you haven’t already done so. This will make way for new growth.
• Mulch fruit trees with well-rotted manure or garden compost, taking care not to mound mulch up around the trunk.
• Top dress patio fruit trees with fresh compost and a slow-release fertiliser.
• Feed raspberry canes, fruit bushes and fruit trees to encourage good crops this season. Apply a fertiliser around the base, we’d recommend using Q4.
• Check roses, fruit and herbaceous plants for pesticides and diseases such as aphids. Apply organic fungicides and insecticides if needed.
IN THE VEGETABLE GARDEN
• Make sure to continue weeding and thin out any vegetable seeds as necessary.
• Check for slugs and if needed apply organic slug pellets
LOOKING AFTER YOUR LAWN
• Sow lawn seed now on well-prepared soil and keep the soil moist while it germinates.
• For an instant lawn, lay new turf this month and keep it moist until it’s established.
• Apply any specialist lawn weed killers to your well-established lawn wherever moss and weeds are a problem.
At Bernaville Nurseries we have a fantastic range of gardening products, compost, beautiful plants, and garden furniture available. Our friendly staff are also on hand seven days a week to help with any plant or gardening advice.